There I was, sitting at a table by myself, while on a break during my co-op placement. Enjoying some blueberries and checking my phone (and checking out potential attractive workplace-hotties walking in and out of the staff room).
I look down at my phone and see a text notification. Well, well, what do we have here. The classic, “Hey…“
Women like to dip in and out of your life (examples here, here, and here ). At least the women you had somewhat of an impact on. Or the ones that are bored. Or horny. Or for really any reason (hopefully the horny one).
It can seem arbitrary when they do send you the, “Hey…” text, but believe me, there’s a method to their madness. They’re bound by their cyclical nature and crafty style.
I shared the text I got on Twitter and asked what people thought about it. Here are some responses:
I suppose as long as you’re not butthurt or worried about how you’ll act or feel around your ex, then there’s no harm in catching up. I think.
I hadn’t spoken to her since we had after-breakup-sex. That was October of last year.
Before that I hadn’t seen her since I dropped her shit off, that was a few months even further back, summer time I think.
Let’s have some fun breaking down some of this text, because that’s always fun.
Hey D, long time no talk.
Well ya. Did you expect me to contact you after we broke up? The answer is yes, yes she did.
Was thinking about you lately, this time last year I was at (EDIT: my old apartment) a lot haha.
Remember earlier I said women are cyclical? Well this time of year reminds her of me. She got to thinking how awesome I was (am) and just had to get a hold of me.
Anyway, I was also thinking about how we left off, and how I saw you a couple of months ago and just never txted you after you left.
I thought that’s what exes do – have sex a couple times after breaking up and then ghost each other. Say good-bye to romance and enjoy the decline.
I feel weird about that.
I’m actually curious as to why she feels weird about that. But more importantly, who cares.
Hope all is well, just wanted to say hi
Just wanted to say hi, eh. Somehow I doubt that.
That text could’ve been worse. She could’ve said mean things in it. But it was actually quite cordial and civil.
“So D, what did you end up doing?” you may ask. Well, I did exactly what any recovering beta would do – meet up with the ex and try to get laid.
We met at a pub. Chatted a bit. Went home to my place and had sloppy drunk sex.
Here are some reactions from people when I told them I was going to meet up with the ex:
What Should You Do When An Ex Girlfriend Contacts You?
There are a couple schools of thought on this…
- If you aren’t butthurt about replying, go ahead. Use minimal effort though.
- Set up a meet and greet ASAP. Don’t, “talk about things”. The most likely reason she is contacting you is to get some dick. Oblige her if you want (especially if you are on a dry streak).
- For the love of all that is sacred and holy – WEAR A CONDOM!
- Let her know your terms for getting back together (I highly do not recommenced this, sex is fine sure, but any other type of commitment, no thanks don’t do it!)
- The longer you go without finding a new broad the higher the risk of beta behaviours and regression.
- Ignore her and carry on with your life (probably the best option, although I’m still trying to practice what I preach, sometimes I just need to get laid ya know?).
What do you think, what you you do?