We talked for an hour and a bit. Before recording we chatted about the sphere, red pill, and Florian’s visit to the Gorilla Mindset Seminar.
In this episode we discuss cancer and cancer-research. I did my best to conduct an interview-type session. I tried not to interrupt or talk over Florian. Sometimes I did, but it is good practice for future episodes (I also had some beers while doing it. It’s all about having fun).
Here is some information I found on being a good interviewer: (taken from here)
- “To help you do this, drop your presumptions and knowledge about the person you are interviewing and become your target audience. Then you will know what level of detail you need to dig out of the person you are interviewing.”
- “If you rely on prepared questions so much that your mind isn’t open to diverging down different paths based on how your interview guest responds, your podcast can feel quite stunted. Being relaxed and enjoying the interview like a good conversation, engaging with what your subject is saying and showing real curiosity, is the key to a natural interview style.”
- One final reminder that’s important for all you people out there who love to talk – the interview is not about you.
- “You can add to the interview, briefly, by offering your own reinforcing story, or relevant comment, but don’t start interviewing yourself. I like to focus on two things as my role as the interviewer –
- Asking the questions
- Summarizing the answers”
I’m clearly still new to podcasting. Feel free to give me feedback on what you think I did well or things I need to improve on.
The first 48min of our Skype conversation is from Florian’s computer recoroded through his iPhone (this part I tried my best in post-production to get rid of the static-hiss sound, it’s the best I could do, the audio is low for the first part).
The last 18min of our Skype conversation is recorded from Florian’s iMac (this last part has a much better sound quality than the first part).
(also thanks to Beppo for telling me how to upload a long video to youtube)
Part 1 – iPhone
- Promises for research development (it’s all about the money)
- The Golden Standard of scientific research
- Treatments for cancers
- Inflammation (acid reflux, Crohn’s disease)
- Sequencing the genome (tailor made medications)
- Using medical marijuana as a treatment (mentions Kratom)
- The spread of cancer and the immune response (what’s going on at the cellular level ?)
- Future health insurance bollocks! (“I see you have a gene that could potentially lead to cancer, we will NOT cover you.”)
- Health Care systems (private vs universal)
Part 2 – iMac
- Preventative measure (moderation in moderation)
- Healthy mindset = healthy lifestyle
- Will there be a cure for cancers in the future?
- Florian’s upcoming projects (www.lifesciencementor.com)